- Admission Requirements
- Master of Science (Higher Education) Degree Requirements
- Master of Education (PK-12) Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (PK-12)
Doctorate in Educational Leadership
(PK-12 School Emphasis)
- A minimum of 90 (PhD) or 96 (EdD) semester credits of coursework beyond your bachelor's degree. With approval, 30 credits from a master's degree may be transferred from another regionally accredited institution. A minimum of 50 credits must be from UND.
- Maintenance of at least a 3.0 GPA for all classes completed as a graduate student.
- Completion of a dissertation, which incorporates independent research work that is an original contribution to knowledge.
- Successful completion of comprehensive examinations in Educational Leadership and Educational Foundations and Research.
- Successful completion of a final oral examination.
Tentative Program of Study for the PK-12 School Emphasis
As a doctoral student, you are required to complete courses of study similar to the following. Depending on the availability of faculty and/or student needs, specific courses provided to the cohort may vary from those listed below. The faculty will consider your requirements on a case-by-case basis if you have already completed one or more of these courses or their equivalents. Based on your background and degree, you will likely be required to complete one or more additional courses beyond those provided to the cohort.
Prerequisite/Corequisite Courses for a PK-12 School Emphasis in Educational Leadership (20 Credits)
If your master's degree or specialist diploma did not include the following courses or their equivalent, you must complete the following as soon as possible after admission to the doctoral program.
- EDL 501: Leadership, Planning, & Organizational Behavior (3 Credits)
- EDL 511: Effective Administrative Communications (3 Credits)
- EDL 513: Leading Curriculum & Learning Theory (3 Credits)
- EDL 514: Personnel, Supervision, & Staff Development (3 Credits)
- EDL 515: Education Law & Ethics (3 Credits)
- EDL 516: Education Finance & Policy (3 Credits)
Required Core Courses (24 Credits)
- EDL 503: Seminar in Educational Leadership: Orientation (2 Credits)
- EDL 503: Seminar in Educational Leadership: Capstone (2 Credits)
- EDL 572: Educational Systems & Planning (2 Credits)
- EDL 573: Administration & Organizational Behavior (3 Credits)
- EDL 575: Education & Public Policy (3 Credits)
- EDL 579: Special Topic: Literature Review (3 Credits)
- EDL 579: Special Topic: Research (3 Credits)
- EDL 579: Special Topic: Issues & Trends in Education (3 Credits)
- EDL 579: Special Topic: Curriculum & Learning (3 Credits)
Educational Leadership PK-12 Core Courses (17 Credits)
- EDL 523: The Educational Plant (2 Credits)
- EDL 524: Educational Personnel Administration (2 Credits)
- EDL 526: Educational Finance (2 Credits)
- EDL 527: Legal Issues in Education (3 Credits)
- EDL 529: Special Education Law (3 Credits)
- EDL 531: School District Leadership (2 Credits)
- EDL 532: Staff & Program Evaluation (2 Credits)
- EDL 571: School Community Relations (2 Credits)
Foundations of Education (6 Credits for PhD; 12 Credits for EdD)
- EFR 500: Foundations of Educational Thought (3 Credits)
- EFR 501-508 (3 Credits for PhD; 9 Credits for EdD)
Cognate or Minor Area(s) (12-24 Credits)
Include one or two cognate areas outside Educational Leadership and often outside the field of Education to support the area of emphasis. The cognate or minor may include courses from your master’s degree program or other graduate courses already completed and acceptable for inclusion in a cognate or minor for a doctoral program of study, and/or courses to be taken prior to, concurrent with, or following the sequence of courses provided to the cohort.
Scholarly Tools (9 Credits for PhD; 6 Credits for EdD)*
- EFR 510: Qualitative Research Methods (3 Credits)
- EFR 516: Statistics II (required prerequisite: Statistics I or equivalent) (3 Credits)
- Scholarly Tool Elective (3 Credits)
*EFR 515: Statistics I (or its equivalent) may not be used to fulfill Scholarly Tools.
Internship (1-8 Credits)**
- EDL 593: Internship in Educational Leadership (1-8 Credits)
**Not required but often advisable, depending on student experience and goals. These credits are reported in your major.
Dissertation (12 Credits for PhD; 10 Credits for EdD)
- EDL 999: Doctoral Dissertation