- Admission Requirements
- Master of Science (Higher Education) Degree Requirements
- Master of Education (PK-12) Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (PK-12)
Educational Specialist Diploma Admission Requirements
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Department of Educational Leadership at the University of North Dakota.
All prospective students must apply using our online application available through the University's Graduate School. Go to http://graduateschool.und.edu/.
Please read below to determine the admissions requirements for this degree program:
The following criteria will be used to assess a student's application for admission into the Specialist program in the Department of Educational Leadership. No single criterion can adequately predict a student's probable success in graduate work; as such, candidates for admission to the masters programs are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of a master's degree (see graduate school guidelines for acceptable degrees)
- Undergraduate & junior-senior grade-point averages
- Grade point average from all previous graduate work (minimum of 3.0 required)
- Professional resume
- Educational leadership essay
- Statement of professional goals
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- TOEFL score (if applicable)
- Interview (when determined appropriate by admission committee)
Submit a professional curriculum vitae (c.v.) or resume (no more than 4 pages) that includes the following information: educational background, work-related experience, conference presentations (if applicable), publications (if applicable), professional honors and awards, and any other experiences you believe may aid the admission committee in evaluating your application.
Educational Leadership Essay
Please type one essay of no more than 800 words each from among the three possible topics below:
- Summarize the leadership activities in which you have been involved in recent years and explain how these experiences reflect your vision of and capacity for leadership.
- Please identify a problem or challenge in a school, school-related organization, or your professional life generally and write an analysis in which you assess the issues(s), describe effective strategies for addressing the issue(s), and make clear the implications for the exercise of effective leadership in the situation.
- Please describe a problem of educational policy decision-making, policy content, or policy implementation, and explain how a deeper understanding of policy or the policy process could improve the situation.
Statement of Professional Goals
Submit a typed essay discussing your professional goals and aspirations, including how your current skills along with advanced study of educational leadership will aid you in the attainment of those goals.
Letters of Recommendation
Submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation that collectively can attest to the your academic and professional aptitude. The successful applicant's references will speak to the prospective student's potential success in graduate-level work as well as his/her ability to complete the program requirements. Potential recommenders may include a faculty member, academic advisor, or current supervisor.