- Admission Requirements
- Master of Science (Higher Education) Degree Requirements
- Master of Education (PK-12) Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (PK-12)
Educational Specialist Diploma Degree Requirements
The Specialist Diploma, available at UND only in Educational Leadership, is designed for students preparing for school administrative positions. This course of study is usually considered to be a terminal program of advanced preparation for professional practice. Upon completion of the Specialist Diploma, a student generally will have completed the requirements for an administrative credential including those required for the position of school superintendent in North Dakota.
A minimum of 64 semester credit hours beyond the bachelor's degree is required for the Ed.S. Diploma. the Ed.S. must include approximately 30 credits beyond the master's degree.
Required Courses in General and Building Level Administration (19 credits)
- EDL 501: Leadership, Planning and Organizational Behavior (3 Credits)
- EDL 503: Seminar in Educational Administration: Current Issues (1 Credit)
- EDL 513: Leading Curriculum and Learning (4 Credits)
- EDL 514: Personnel, Supervision and Staff Development (4 Credits)
- EDL 515: Education Law and the Organizational Structure of Schools (3 Credits)
- EDL 516: Policy and Educational Finance (3 Credits)
- EDL 519: Principalship (2 Credits) and EDL 520, 521 or 522
- EDL 535: Administration of Elementary School Curriculum (1 Credit)
- EDL 536: Administration of Middle School Curriculum (1 Credit)
- EDL 537: Administration of Secondary School Curriculum (1 Credit)
Required Courses in District-Level Administration (8 credits) with a masters in administration
- EDL 523: The Educational Plant (3 Credits)
- EDL 524: Educational Personnel Administration (2 Credits)
- EDL 526: Educational Finance (2 Credits)
- EDL 527: Legal Issues in Education (3 Credits)
- EDL 571: School Community Relations (2 Credits)
As appropriate, elective courses are selected from one of the following areas to fulfill individual needs and goals. A minimum of 20 credits of Educational Leadership courses is required. A concentration of 40 credits in the major (including Foundations and Educational Leadership courses and an Independent Study) is required.
Foundations (6 credits)
- EFR 500: Foundations of Educational Thought (3 Credits)
- EFR 501-508 (3 Credits)
Cognate Area(s) (12-24 credits)
A minimum of 12 credits (to a maximum of 24 credits) of course work must be in one or two cognate areas outside Educational Leadership, and may be outside the field of education. The cognate area(s) serve to support the area of emphasis.
Research Methods (3 credits)
Must be selected from approved courses that provide the scholarly tools to support research.
Internship (1-8 credits)
EDL 593 is not required but is often advisable, depending upon student experience and goals.
Independent Study (4 credits)
EDL 997: Independent Study