- Admission Requirements
- Master of Science (Higher Education) Degree Requirements
- Master of Education (PK-12) Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
- Doctor of Philosophy/Doctor of Education (PK-12)
Jeffrey C. Sun
Associate Professor of Educational Leadership & Affiliate Professor of Law
B.B.A., Loyola Marymount University
M.B.A., Loyola Marymount University
J.D., Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University
M.Phil., Columbia University
Ph.D., Columbia University (Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and Teachers College)
Professional Practice Experiences:
Director of Academic Administration & Instructor, Teachers College at Columbia University
Lecturer of Management, New York University
Director of Admissions, Activities Director, and Teacher, St. Monica Catholic High School
Areas of Specialization:
Higher education law; "academetrics"; higher education management and organizations
Selected Scholarly Works (since 2012):
- Daniel, P. T. K., Gee, E. G., Sun, J. C., & Pauken, P. D. (2012). Law, policy, and higher education: Cases and materials. New Providence, NJ: LexisNexis.
- Daniel, P. T. K., Gee, E. G., Sun, J. C., & Pauken, P. (2012). Instructor's manual: Law, policy, and higher education. New Providence, NJ: LexisNexis.
Articles & Book Chapters
- Anderson, G. M., Barone, R. P., Sun, J. C., & Bowlby, N. (2014, in press). The new stratification: Differentiating opportunity at community colleges by race and class in the U.S. In A. Martinez-Aleman, B. Pusser, & E. Bensimon (Eds.). Critical approaches to the study of higher education (pp. ___-___). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Sun, J. C. (2014). Legal issues associated with big data in higher education: Ethical considerations and cautionary tales. In J. E. Lane (Ed.), Building a smarter university: Big data, innovation, and ingenuity. Albany: SUNY Press.
- Sun, J. C., & Daniel, P. T. K. (2013). Math and science are core to the IDEA: Breaking the racial and poverty lines. Fordham Urban Law Journal, 41(2), 557-598.
- Sun, J. C. & Melear, K. B. (2013). Chapter 8: Higher education. In C. J. Russo (Ed.). Yearbook of education law, 2012 (pp. 169-197). Cleveland, OH: Education Law Association.
- Sun, J. C., Hutchens, N. H., & Breslin, J.D. (2013). A (virtual) land of confusion with college students' online speech: Introducing the curricular nexus test, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law, 16(1), pp. 49-96.
- Hutchens, N. H., & Sun, J. C. (2013). The tenuous legal status of First Amendment protection for individual academic freedom. Journal of the Professoriate, 7(1), pp. 1-25.
- Sun, J. C. (2012). Chapter 8: Higher education. In C. J. Russo (Ed.). Yearbook of education law, 2011 (pp. 177-205). Dayton, OH: Education Law Association.
- Sun, J. C. (2012). Counterpoint: Should there be limits on student free speech right? In C. J. Russo & A. G. Osborne, Jr. (Eds.). Debating issues in American education: School Law (pp. 185-192). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Sun, J. C. (2012). Counterpoint: Should there be limits on teacher free speech right? In C. J. Russo & A. G. Osborne, Jr. (Eds.). Debating issues in American education: School law (pp.204-212). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Sun, J. C. (2012). Headnote: Do current laws and procedures regulating dismissal give teachers adequate due process protection? In C. J. Russo & A. G. Osborne, Jr. (Eds.). Debating issues in American education: School law (pp. 228-231). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- EDL 503 Doctoral Capstone
- EDL 517 Social, Cultural, Political and Community Dimensions of Schools
- EDL 541 Introduction to Higher Education Administration
- EDL 542 Curriculum in Higher EducationEDL 549 Higher Education Management
- EDL 551 Academic Administration in Higher Education
- EDL 552 Higher Education Law
- EDL 553 Higher Education Policy & Finance
- EDL 556 College Students & the Law
- EDL 572 Higher Education Planning & Systems
- EDL 574 Organizational Behavior II
- EDL 579 Current Issues in Educational Leadership
- EDL 579 Doctoral Proseminar
- EDL 593 Internship – Institutional Research
Education Building, Room 352