Tanis Walch, Ph.D.
Office: Hyslop Sports Center Rm 103
Phone: (701) 777-2994
Fax (701) 777-3531
- PhD in Human Nutrition from Kansas State University (2011)
- MPH with Physical Activity emphasis from Kansas State University (2008)
- B.S. In Exercise Science from University of Nebraska-Omaha (2006)
Dr. Walch's research centers on understanding and improving health outcomes in youth.
Specifically, her passion is to examine the influences on physical activity, sedentary behavior, and healthful eating in youth. Recently, Dr. Walch became the North Dakota Special Olympics Health Promotion Clinical Director. She looks forward to helping athletes improve their health and fitness leading to enhanced sprots experiance and improved well-being.
Since 2015, Dr. Walch has worked with the Community Action Agency of Southern New Mexico to implement the Healthy Opportunities for Physical Activity and Nutrition (HOP'N) Home program. The HOP'N Home program teaches children, their parents and providers about small changes to their routines to improve the health and wellness. For a press release see: https:caasnm.org/2015/08/18/caasnm-receives-122000-from-the-paso-del-norte-health-foundation-to-provide-nutritional-education-to-preschoolers/
Dr. Walch was excited to join UND in 2012 and get closer to family as she was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Outside of work, she enjoys spending time with her husband and daughter, traveling, cooking, curling, and playing golf.
- PHE 101: Introduction to Public Health
- PHE 102: Epidemiology in Public Health
- PHE 103: Introduction to Global Health
- PHE 301: Principles and Foundations of Health Education
- PHE 303: Organization and Administration of Cummunity Health Programs
- PHE 304: Health Program Planning and Implementation
Anderson, C., Walch, T ., Lindberg, S., Smith, A., Lindheim, S., Whigham, L., (2015). Excess Gestational Weight Gain in Low-Income Overweight and Obese Women: A Qualitative Study. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 47 (5).
Bopp, M., Hastmann, T. , Norton, A., (2013). Active commuting among K-12 Educators: A Study Examining Walking and Biking to Work. Journal of Environmental and Public Health. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/162731
Hastmann, T. , Foster, K., Rosenkranz, R., Rosenkranz, S., Dzewaltowski, D., (2012). Effect of adult leader participation on physical activity in children. Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2(4) 429-435.