MS in Kinesiology -
Program Description and Requirements
Regardless of your specific interest area (e.g., exercise physiology, sport and exercise psychology, fitness/wellness, sports coaching and teacher education), the degree requirements for an MS in Kinesiology are:
- A major of at least 30 (thesis) or 32 (non-thesis) credits or a major with a minor or a cognate.
- Completion of KIN 501 (Research Methods in Kinesiology; 4 credits) and 561 (Critical Synthesis and Analysis in Kinesiology; 2 credits).
- Completion of a thesis (4-6 credits) or independent study (2 credits).
For those who choose the Thesis option
- Establish a Faculty Advisory Committee and submit a Program of Study early in the second semester.
For those who choose the Non-thesis option
- Select a permanent advisor and submit a Program of Study early in the second semester.
- Pass a written and oral final comprehensive examination administered by the department's graduate faculty.
Note: Thesis or Non-thesis, that is the question. The decision to complete a thesis or independent study should be made on the basis of your future goals. Generally we recommend a thesis when a student aspires to continuing their higher education.
See the section on recent graduates to read titles of thesis research completed by our graduate students.