UND STEM Initiative...
- UND Faculty & Staff attended 2017 Governor's Summit on Innovation in Education
About UND STEM Initiative
UND’s College of Education & Human Development (CEHD) has partnered with the College of Arts & Sciences and the College of Engineering & Mines to hire a STEM Coordinator to launch a UND STEM Initiative. The STEM Coordinator works in collaboration with the interdisciplinary UND STEM Faculty Work Group, whose members represent a broad range of UND STEM stakeholders.
2016 ND Collaborative STEM Conference Archives
In 2016 UND STEM Initiative was pleased to partner in hosting the ND Collaborative STEM Conference (April 21-23, 2016) in Grand Forks.
- Program (4/14/16)
- ND Collaborative STEM Conference Schedule-at-a-Glance
- Preconference Welcome by Interim President Ed Schafer
- Presenter Files
- Poster presented at 2016 NSF DRK-12 PI Meeting & 2016 SMTI Network of STEM Education Centers National Conference
June 2016 ND DPI STEAM Newsletter - containing:
- Text of Supt. Baesler's Opening Remarks at Conference (4/22/16)
- Richard Sgarlotti's Native American STEM Resources (Conference presenter)
- Much more
Grants & Presentations
- Dr. Robert Pawloski served as the PI on NSF Award #1552135 ND STEM Collaborative Conference 2016. $66,479 was awarded to UND by the NSF DRK-12 Program in October 2015 to support UND's involvement in this innovative event.
- December 2015, $300,000 was awarded to Drs. Tim Young (UND Physics), Mark Guy (CEHD), and Dr. Steven Ralph (UND Biology) by the North Dakota Math Science Partnership Competitive Grant Program. Dr. Bob Pawloski will lead the evaluation of the STEAM Energy! project through the Bureau of Educational Services and Applied Research (BESAR).
- Pawloski, R.W. (2015).
Integrative STEM Education: A Catalyst for Transdisciplinary Collaboration at the University of North Dakota. Included in Presentations and Abstracts for SMTI 2015 National Conference. New Orleans, LA.
- Poster presented at ND EPSCoR/IDeA 2016 STATE CONFERENCE, April 19, 2016
- ND STEM Network
- North Dakota Science Teachers Association
- North Dakota Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- North Dakota Council on the Arts: Arts in Education
- North Dakota Department of Public Instruction STEAM
- Dakota Science Center
- North Dakota After School Partnership
- APLU SMTI STEM Centers (UND STEM Initiative Profile)
Resources (including UND STEM Outreach Team)
University of North Dakota STEM Outreach Team (link coming soon!)
- North Dakota University System's STEM Occupations Student Loan Program
- National Resources
- Clemson's College of Education produced this whiteboard video for the National Academy of Sciences to help explain what STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Education is and how it can be beneficial in the classroom.
- The Center for Online Education has developed a guide for women and minorities in STEM.
- Educators of Native American Students (EONAS) is a Special Interest Group (SIG) of TODOS-Mathematics for All, an affiliate of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
The UND STEM Faculty Work Group has identified the following issues in STEM education:
- Addressing the continued need to recruit, retain, and graduate students in the STEM disciplines is vital for economic prosperity of North Dakota and our nation.
- Students in all disciplines at UND should be educated to be STEM-literate citizens, empowered with 21st century skills of collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking (the Four C’s).
- A working definition of STEM that guides the STEM initiative at UND should be inclusive of all disciplines, incorporating expertise from liberal arts and humanities that fosters development of the Four C’s.
- All preservice and inservice preK12 teachers, as well as higher education faculty, should be competent and confident to use integrative STEM Education in their teaching.
- There is a need for public awareness of STEM, and a coherent and searchable entry point for access to UND STEM experts, outreach programs, and resources.
The broad goals identified by the Work Group include:
- Facilitate communication about professional development, collaborative funding and connections across UND as well as industry, community and state regarding STEM Education.
- Develop a coherent entry point for K12 schools, industry, state and community to interact with STEM experts and programs at UND.
- Identify existing STEM Education research at UND, encourage further studies, and identify national trends in STEM Education.
- Work towards a strategic planning process based on data, scientific frameworks, and UND context and culture that will result in a UND mission statement for STEM Education.
Initiative Work Group Members
- Brad Rundquist, Geography
- Dusty McNally, Mechanical Engineering
- Harmon Abrahamson, Chemistry
- Ryan Summers, Science Education
- Tom Stokke, Computer Science
- Kathy Smart, Teaching & Learning
- Tim Young, Physics and Astrophysics
- Caitlin Nolby, Space Grant
- Ken Ruit, School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Michele Iiams, Mathematics
- Cathy Williams, Mathematics Teacher Educator
- Lorraine O'Shea, Grand Forks Public Schools Curriculum Department
- Charlene Crocker, UND EERC
STEM Coordinator Contact Information
Robert Pawloski, EdD
CEHD STEM Coordinator, EHD 31a
231 Centennial Dr Stop 7189
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7189
P. 701.777.5620 | C. 402.871.5971