Research is critical to expanding knowledge and making improvements that advance education and society as a whole. Funding is critical to facilitating research.
The following is designed to offer guidance in applying for grants as well as potential resources to explore.
Who do I talk to about applying for grants and using funds?
The CEHD Research and Faculty Development team coordinates the college's grant activities, including pre-award proposal development, compliance management, IRB, assistance with large-scale collaborations, and internal funding programs.
- General inquiries about grants
- Proposal development
- Resources such as BEARS, seed funding, etc.
- Proposal content and editing
- UND collaborations and external partnership building
- IRB questions
- Pre-award budget development
- Post-award budget management and administration
- GRA and staff recruitment
- Equipment and supplies
- Participant incentives
- F&A fund expenditures
What is the process for grant applications and submissions?
The pre-award process at CEHD generally follows the steps below.
- Primary investigator (PI) conceptualizes project
- Meet with ADRFD; update and consult throughout as needed
- Find matching grant opportunity and identify submission date
- Consult with funder (if possible)
- Draft proposal components; confirm co-PIs and partners
- Draft budget, then send to Grants & Contracts Manager for review (4 weeks before due date)
- Full proposal reviewed by ADRFD and chair (3 weeks before due date)
- Upload proposal to Novelution (ERAC), route for approvals (5 days before due date)
- Proposal submitted by PI or UND Grants & Contracts Office (varies by funder)
Where do I find grants to apply to?
- Office of Research & Sponsored Program Development
- Chester Fritz Library Scholarly Communication
All Federal Grants
- U.S. Department of Education
- Institute of Education Sciences
- National Science Foundation
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Institute of Health
Foundations and Non-Governmental Resources
Some examples of private foundations and organizations that fund educational research are below.
- American Association of University Women
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for Institutional Research
- American Political Science Association
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York
- International Education Research Foundation
- Social Science Research Council
- The Spencer Foundation
Search for local foundations or community funds in the place in which your research takes place; they might be interested in funding work that contributes to local well-being.
How can I get help preparing a grant proposal?
The CEHD Research and Faculty Development team will provide assistance with all pre-award grant stages, including:
- Proposal development
- Examples of past CEHD proposals
- Budget consultation with Grants & Contract Manager
- GRA resources from BEARS
Excellent Resources for Proposal Preparation
Common Information for Proposal Preparation
How do I manage my grant once I receive it?
The post-award services we support include:
- New award meetings
- Guidance of federal, state, university, and sponsor regulations and requirements
- Pre-audit and approval of expenditures, release time and summer salary for Principal Investigators
- Project budget development, analysis, and projections
- Budget revisions
- No-cost extension requests
- Subcontract agreement and modification requests
- Cost sharing commitments
- Managing grant close out activities